Dandara was established in 1988 from the desire to provide innovative homes and commercial properties, which would offer real value for money without compromising on design, durability or quality. Today Dandara is one of the UK’s largest independent property development companies,
with over 10,000 happy customers and more than 100 industry awards for design and quality – and it’s all thanks to the vision and passion of our dedicated team.
We are looking for an Assistant Buyer to work on a number of prestigious projects in our Milton Keynes office. The position involves constant communication with professionals of different disciplines including Surveyors, Technical and the Construction team.
Salary - £25-£40,000 dependent on experience plus benefits and bonus
If you see an error message (we are aware of a current issue) when trying to apply, please email your CV directly to firstname.lastname@example.org
Key tasks & responsibilities:
- Read specifications for jobs and advise on previous experience if this material or others as suitable regarding quality and price.
- Advise on new products within the market to improve specifications and overall quality of the job.
- Monitor and carry out reviews regarding material requisitions from site to ensure service, quality and price are considered.
- Liase closely with Quantity Surveyors to ensure all materials/equipment quantities are accurate.
- Offer feedback to QS if further quantities have been requested from site.
- Consult with Contracts or Site Manager on quantities been placed to ensure site checks have been made and quantities are accurate.
- Prepare purchase order inquiry with attention to price, quantity and delivery when starting negotiations.
- Procurement of materials and equipment
- After collating all information on the material or plant required place all company orders with further checks on price, quality and delivery date required.
- Procurement of all small tools and equipment.
- Procurement of plant and equipment.
- Scheduling of Deliveries to sites
- Agree delivery of material purchases for the company with Contracts
- Manager/Site Manager or Site Clerk.
- Discuss it through regular meetings with site manager to avoid storage problems and delays on site.
- Review the procedures in place i.e. bulk orders to establish good relationship between site and suppliers
- Monitoring and reviewing of suppliers performance
- Establish good relationships with suppliers to ensure good service, quality and price.
- Visit supplier premises to familiarise yourself with their products and business to gain knowledge to help procurement of goods and service.
- Evaluate and review supplier relationships on a regular basis.
- Provide feedback to suppliers through quarterly meetings with a set agenda a to achieve better results.
- Ensure transparency in transactions with suppliers for internal and external use.
- Reprimand Suppliers when results are not been achieved for the interest of the company.
- Represent the company in a professional manor at trade shows, manufacturer or supplier meetings and promote the overall good outlook of the company.
- Agree companies hire rates on plant and machinery.
- Monitor weekly hire sheets as prepared by others and discuss with Plant Manager.
- Review companies hire and propose purchasing piece of equipment if viable.
- Negotiate with hire companies when plant is damaged etc.
- Develop skills to read working drawings.
- Develop skills in scheduling and and take offs, and follow the process through to tender and order placement.
- Raise purchase orders on the COINS procurement system.
- Liaise with sites and site queries and issues day to day.
- Deal with and resolve supplier invoice queries
- Carry out Materials on Site with the Buyer/ Senior Buyer each month
You will ideally already have some experience in buying in the construction industry either on residential or commercial projects. You will be a strong communicator, with confidence to deal with professional consultants on a daily basis and be self-motivated, and be able to work on your own initiative. Excellent numeracy skills and fluent in all Microsoft packages especially Excel will be a definite advantage
Qualifications and training
ONC, HNC/HND in Building related studies would be ideal but not essential. Full training in the role will be given.
Note for Recruitment Agencies
This position is is by direct application only. Any recruitment agency CV submissions will be considered a free gift - Dandara is not responsible for any fees related to recruitment agency CV’s whether you have read this message or not.