Building Services Manager
As part of the team responsible for the successful delivery of a number of large apartment schemes for the private rented sector throughout the U.K, this newly created role is a pivotal position developing strong relationships with key members of the project team. Based in our Hemel Hempstead office with regular travel to UK sites.
Key Roles & Responsibilities
- Development utility / infrastructure strategies and quotations
- Production of design intent mechanical and electrical installation designs and specifications
- Management of external building services consultants and specialist where required
- Review and comment on design by external consultants and specialists
- Ensuring production of information in accordance with Dandara standards.
- M&E and utility coordination with other construction design information and design disciplines.
Key Tasks & Responsibilities
- Obtaining existing utility record maps. Reviewing risk and diversion requirements.
- Develop utility infrastructure strategies in coordination with incumbent and independent utility service providers including; gas, electricity telecoms, cable and water services
- Utility quotations; making applications, obtaining and progressing designs and quotations, including disconnections, diversions, new supplies and temporary building supplies
- Utility quotation reviews/appraisals and subsequent recommendations to Commercial Team
- Coordinating with the Dandara internal Technical and Legal Teams in regards to any utility legals requirements, such as easements or wayleaves
- Securing utility electricity MPan and MPRN references and procuring a meter shipper
- Assisting the Land Team on any queries at pre land purchase stage
- Obtaining street lighting designs and quotations. Review, comment and recommendation
- Managing street lighting inventories
- Assisting the construction team with any day to day queries
- Manage and coordinate any utilities changes and ensure onward circulation to Technical & Commercial Teams
- Provision of high standard domestic plumbing, mechanical and electrical designs, specification information and design calculations for residential and commercial developments in full collaboration and coordination with the Technical Department team.
- Ensure design deliverables are met in accordance with the design programme.
- Provision of mechanical & electrical specification information prior to site commencement and throughout the project duration in conjunction with Technical Department team.
- Fee negotiation, instruction and coordination of external mechanical and electrical design consultants or specialists when utilised.
- Management of external design information – review, collation, register and issue where undertaken by an external consultant or contractor.
- Electronic and hard copy issue and registering of drawings received from consultants.
- Financially appraising mechanical and electrical designs for value engineering and cost saving promotion purposes.
- Liaison and management of mechanical and electrical subcontractors including the undertaking of material and workmanship quality inspections.
- Investigation of new technologies in regard to plumbing and mechanical installations.
- Assisting with the preparation and collation of tender documents.
- Contract administration assistance to the Commercial Team
- Site visits and inspections.
- Arranging copies of information for other departments, consultants and site contractors where required.
- Ensure all records of design changes are kept to coordinate “as built” drawings upon completion of the project.
- Obtaining, collating and distributing design risk assessments/information from project consultants and designing contractors to meet CDM obligations.
- Assessing design risk and providing information as required for health and safety to meet current Construction Design and Management (CDM) legislation.
- Assisting in the assessment of design and build tenders.
- Managing design and installation queries raised by Construction staff / Contractors as required.
- Site suveys
You will be a driven individual with extensive residential and/or commercial project experience. Having a services engineering Degree or equivalent (HND/ONC in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering) you will have excellent AutoCAD expertise. A design and build contracting background in M&E would be preferred and a pragmatic and adaptable approach is essential too. Commercial and contractual awareness.
A good working knowledge of Building Regulations relating to M&E, SAP, BREEAM, Code for Sustainable Homes, Lifetime Homes, Energy and Sustainability including zero and low carbon solutions.