Dandara was established in 1988 from the desire to provide innovative homes and commercial properties, which would offer real value for money without compromising on design, durability or quality. Today Dandara is one of the UK’s largest independent property development companies, with over 10,000 happy customers and more than 100 industry awards for design and quality – and it’s all thanks to the vision and passion of our dedicated team.
The Trainee Quantity Surveyors role is to assist the Quantity Surveyor during all aspects of the Project, which have a direct or in-direct impact on the Commercial sustainability of the Contract. These activities include all matters relating to Head Contract, procurement, administration, Cash Flow, risk and opportunity management, cost control, change management, internal and external reporting applicable to:
- Internally (Suppliers / Works Contractors / Preliminaries) to achieve Project budget, within time constraints, while delivering a quality product.
- Externally (Client and others) to maintain costs within cost plan budget, to maintain costs within cost plan budget, while maintaining strong relationships and ensuring Customer satisfaction.
Key tasks & Responsibilities
- Together with the QS team assist to review, interrogate and reach satisfactory agreement of Project cost plan with the Dandara development team.
- Assist in the preparation and submission and where required assist in reaching satisfactory agreement of the Building Contract, Employer’s Requirements / Contractor’s Proposal Document, with the Dandara legal team.
- Assisting to develop agreed cost plan into individual trade and preliminary packages budgets, including allocation and management of Contingency and Risk Allowances.
- When required assist in the development of a procurement Strategy for the Project, taking cognisance of resource availability, budgets, time constraints and Construction Strategy.
- Assist in the development of a robust Commercial Strategy for the Project, offering both firm and clear cost control / Risk Management systems and procedures, while adopting value maximising initiatives and continually striving to seek gains through opportunities.
- Assist on pre agreed Cash Flow projections are maintained throughout Project life time.
- Maintain contact and assist with the procurement department throughout the procurement process.
- Assist the Senior QS in preparation of internal and external Management Reports, including final Forecasts, Work in Progress Reports and Cash Flow monitoring for the Project, in accordance with the agreed timetable.
- Assist with the undertaking of cost planning and budgeting.
- Assist to maintain and ensure compliance with Dandara Management System processes and documentation.
You will be a driven individual who is willing to learn on site from senior members of the team and you will be a naturally good communicator who is able to handle change.
Qualifications and Training
Experience of MS Excel and Word is essential along with a minimum of HNC/HND in Quantity Surveying.